What is baptism?
- Our English word baptism comes from the Greek word baptizo, which actually means “to immerse” or “to submerge”
Baptism is symbolic of our spiritual covenant with Christ
- Going into the water is symbolic of our sinful man dying, while coming out of the water is symbolic of us being resurrected with Christ
- Colossians 2:12 states that “…having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him (Christ) from the dead.”
- Baptism shows that we are in agreement with the principle that if God has the power to raise Christ from the dead, then surely he has the power to bring life to the death we have allowed to enter into our lives because of sin.
Why do we need to be baptized?
We are commanded to be baptized
- Mark 16:15-16 15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
- Acts 2:37-38 37 God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ. ”When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
To follow Christ’s example
What happens to us after baptism?
We are given power over sin and our past
- We get power over sin by obeying God, sharing our story, and doing what He did. Right before Jesus was tempted by the devil, He was baptized. In this we see how God’s full power came to Christ through His obedience. He was able to withstand the temptations of Satan and went on to accomplish all that the Father had sent Him to do.
We are connected to the body / community
- We essentially are being baptized into the body of Christ, which is the church 1 Corinthians 12:13 “For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body.”
Life Changing Stories
The decision to be baptized comes as a response to the love and grace of God as he works in a person’s heart and mind. Click the button below to view the stories of lives that have been changed through their encounter with – and their obedience to – God.Watch Life Changing Stories